Each honoree presented a medal for contributing to university's research, clinical, educational missions
Twenty faculty members were honored on Monday for 25 years of service to the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus.
Another spring snowstorm made it difficult for all the honorees to attend the celebration at the home of Chancellor Don Elliman and his wife, Mary. Six of the honorees and their guests were on hand to receive a hearty thank-you from Elliman and Provost and Vice Chancellor Rod Nairn.
Each honoree receives a medal in commemoration for 25 years of service.
“The service that you’ve given CU and CU Denver and Anschutz for that period of time is well worthy of note and we’re grateful for it,” Elliman said. “… Whether it’s in the medical academy or clinical academy or the traditional educational academy, we marvel at that and I commend you for it.”
Nairn said the idea for the service awards for faculty, in its fifth year at CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus, was “borrowed from another institution that I attended who used to do this for the 25-year folks.” He said he hopes that the honorees will take the opportunity to proudly wear their medals, particularly at events such as commencement.
“All of you have contributed to the educational mission, the research mission, the clinical mission, the service mission,” Nairn said. “At the core of that has always been the students, so we hope we’ll see you at commencement wearing your medal.”
The 20 faculty members receiving recognition this year:
- Architecture and Planning: Lois Brink, professor
- Arts & Media: Paul Musso, assistant professor
- Business: Edward O’Connor, professor; Marlene Smith, associate professor; Dean Taylor, professor
- Education and Human Development: Sheila Shannon, associate professor
- Liberal Arts and Sciences: Steven Beckman, associate professor; William Mehring, senior instructor
- Medicine: Dennis Ahnen, professor; John Caldwell, professor; Janette Durham, professor; Donald Eckhoff, professor; Douglas Ford, professor; Igal Kam, professor; Frederick Karrer, professor; Robert Low, associate professor; Rachelle Nuss, professor; Jerome Schaack, associate professor; Ken Winston, professor
- Public Health: Rhonda Dick, instructor.
(Photo: Among the faculty at CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus who were honored for 25 years of service were, from left: Steven Beckman, Dean Taylor, Lois Brink, Paul Musso, Donald Eckhoff and Frederick Karrer.)