It may look like just another campus building, but from the moment you walk into the Lola & Rob Salazar Student Wellness Center it’s clear this is a place like no other at CU Denver. A holistic blend of energy, tranquility and wellness exudes from every floor and every corner of the 85,000-square-foot facility.
The center and its breadth of wellness and fitness facilities is certain to become a regular destination – a place for students to recreate, relax and recharge.
Lola & Rob Salazar Student Wellness Center, by the numbers:
1 – One Outdoor Adventure center. Need some gear for your next outdoor adventure, whether it be for camping, paddle boarding or rock climbing? The Adventure Rental desk on the first floor will set you up — but the rentals won’t sink your wallet. Exciting extended adventure trips will also be offered, so check out the fall schedule!
2 – Two meditation/reflection rooms on the third floor. Looking for some quiet personal space? One person at a time can use the rooms for reflection and meditation for 30-minute periods. Ohhmmmmm!
3 – Three floors of awesome. A sample:
- First floor: Bike shop. Learn maintenance and repair tips for your commuter vehicle!
- Second floor: The Den. This space is sure to be a student favorite. The Den occupies the south end of the second floor, offering two gaming stations, table tennis, foosball and an inviting lounge area. Extending from The Den is a relaxed space with high-backed chairs for quiet study, offering spectacular views of Tivoli Quad Park.
- Third floor: The Terrace patio extending off the Movement Loft. The loft offers small-group training as well as personal trainer-led workouts for individuals. The entire area offers panoramic views of Tivoli Quad Park, the South Platte Valley and the Front Range. The Terrace is bound to be popular with “yoga on the porch” and is a unique spot to stretch out in the open air.
Each floor includes two all-gender restrooms, including showers in the first-floor facilities.
4 – Four study rooms on the first floor. Comfortable and quiet rooms allow small-group study or, for solo projects, plenty of space for you to spread out your stuff.
5 – Five student-friendly features. Sure it’s a kitchen, but in reality the Posner Family Kitchen has amenities galore:
- Large countertop area for meal prep
- Multiple microwave ovens and sinks
- Comfortable lounge area
- Wall-sized retractable screen for TV or game playing
- Vending machines with healthy snack options
6 – Six lap lanes in the 25-meter swimming pool. The pool area includes an 18-person Jacuzzi.
7 – Seven dimensions of the Student Wellness Center: physical, financial, spiritual, creative, environmental, social and emotional. The CU Denver Student Government Association forged a holistic, broad-spectrum vision of wellness.
8 – Eight shower stalls in each locker room on the first floor.
9 – ‘Nine, as in short for The Mezzanine on the third floor (OK, so we stretched this one a bit!). Pocket fitness spaces for private workouts or stretching, offering an overlook of the three-court gym (two wood courts and one multi-activity court).
10 – 10 routes to climb up the Climbing Wall.
38 — 38-foot-tall signature feature. The custom-designed Climbing Wall starts on the second floor and reaches skyward. It can’t be missed as it’s decked out in CU Denver gold-and-black and fronted by giant windows along Speer Boulevard. The wall offers fun and challenge to climbers of all levels and is equipped with belay bars. A shorter bouldering wall is on the second floor, located to the side of the cardio-equipment room.
70 — About 70 student employees; keep an eye out for future openings!
There’s plenty more to the Lola & Rob Salazar Student Wellness Center, so to check it out in full detail visit the center website, or better yet, go to the center and explore everything it has to offer!
When you’re exhausted from checking out its features – or perhaps from taking part in group fitness classes in one of two large group fitness studios – unwind in the The Nook relaxation room/quiet space on the third-floor Wellness Suite.
On your mark, get set, be well!